"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."
- Neil Gaiman

Monday, April 16, 2012

Counseling

I suppose this post was inevitable in some ways. For my second C in the Pagan Blog Project I'm going to talk about Counseling. I chose to speak about this partly because I'm working toward a degree in School Counseling.
I always felt like I was meant to be a counselor. Many people throughout my life have always come to me for advice and it was natural to give it. I am a helper by nature. I try not to overstep my bounds and stay neutral in situations. This in itself is a problem though, as sometimes this hinders me from saying what I really think the person needs to hear. Sometimes my being "too nice" is more of a flaw. But that is part of what I am learning in school.
I want to work with children. Young children, preferably elementary school.  I want to work with them before the negative influences and bullying really sink into their foundations. I want to help make a difference. But in addition to this, I also plan to become a Pagan Pastoral Counselor. I feel our community could use a few more of these. I find too often Counselors for other faiths but few for ours. How nice it would have been when family members passed to have someone to talk to that understood my faith. It would be nice to know that when/if I go into the hospital and they ask for your religious preference to be able to say Pagan and know that they would have someone they could call in for me if needed.


 People have been going to elders and wise ones since the beginning of time to get counsel.  I feel sometimes we have lost that. We have become a society of "toddlers"... you know the "I can do it myself" attitude. We need to remember its OK to ask advice. We need to have those in our lives we can get counsel from. That we can depend on.
This need I have for myself is also a need I feel for others. That is why I think it is part of my calling to be service to The Goddess. We have more than enough in our community who will be quick to put you down and tell you what you are doing wrong. I want to be one who, whether I practice the same as you are not, will be there to care and support.





Thank you for reading. I welcome all comments!!

No comments:

Post a Comment