"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."
- Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Kinship

Holy Zebras! Been gone from this blog for so long. We moved to a new state and things got all topsy turvey. But we are all settled and I'm getting ready to start back to college next week, so I better try to catch up a little here. I was doing the Pagan Blog Project but I'm about 8 or 9 weeks behind, so I will continue a little on my own here.
Looks like I left off on K. I think with this letter I will talk about kinship. That longing for a relationship that feels like family, but a relationship built out of a similar qualities and affinities.  I think as Pagans we are all looking for this kinship. Maybe not a coven exactly, but a group of people who have the same values and beliefs that we can confide in and gain support from. Especially when we are in a difficult situation and the "others" try to comfort with words of faith that do not fit our own path. This makes for an uncomfortable situation. I think this is why I plan to become a Pagan Pastoral Counselor. I think our community really needs more support systems in place. I also recently began a FB group for women in my local area. I did this because I needed it. I searched and searched and there was not a group that fit what I needed from my Pagan Kin. So I created it. While it is still in its infancy I have hope that I will connect with my Pagan Sisters and find what I am longing for. The fact that the group began to build so quickly only supported my knowledge that there are many of us out there looking for Kin.
Sadly though I think many of us have been hurt by our Pagan Kin with the whole "Big Brother" attitude, you know that "I have been doing this longer, know more than you, and want all of you newer than me to sit in awe at my brilliance" behavior. This turns so many of us off and makes us timid to embrace our kin. We really need to look around our Pagan Family and accept our roles as supportive, caring family who love each other without the condition that everyone do it like us. Nothing in this world is one size fits all. We may not get along with all of our kin, but we shouldn't let that stop us from finding the ones who will be exactly what we need. Find your Kin, treat them well, and lets reconnect our Pagan Family.


I welcome comments!
Blissings and Love!

No comments:

Post a Comment