"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."
- Neil Gaiman

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Diversity

 For my last "D" post for the Pagan Blog Project (yay all caught up now!!) I am going to write about diversity .... in a round about way. Not only is society in general a diverse place, but so are Pagans. Unfortunately, often times this diversity is shoved under a rug and society likes to pretend that minority groups, such as Pagans, are of little consequence. I feel we must stand up and show that we are as much a part of society as any other group.



So today is Pagan Coming Out Day. While I support this idea I also have some reservations about it. Let me explain.
I have the same issues with this idea as I do with LGBT community needing to "come out", in fact anyone or group that needs to "come out". Why? All of these issues are personal. You don't see straight people or Christians "coming out". No sit downs around the dinner table to say "I just wanted you all to know that "I'm straight and Christian". Nope, no need. Its only us that are not in the majority who feel we have to "come out". People should just be able to "be", without the need to explain such personal issues.
That being said, I think that because society works in such a way that there is a blanket of assumption that everyone is Christian, or straight. It is this assumption that makes days like this necessary. And not that I think people should need to announce their personal information to the public. But because people have the right to life their lives as their authentic selves. This means reading books on Witchcraft in public without fear of interrogation or insults. Celebrating Holidays that correspond with personal religions and possibly taking those days off for work without fear of harassment.  Saying mealtime blessings thanking the Gods and Goddesses of choice without snide remarks from others. Expressing love and pride for personal beliefs without concern of backlash. These are just a few of the issues that those who are of the majority do not have to worry about that those of us who are in the minority do.
Photo from the Annual Erie Pagan Pride Day, found online.

In fact, I was at a funeral recently and at one point in the service we were instructed to say the "Lords Prayer" using whatever version we so choose. I strongly wanted to use the "Ladys Prayer" version that I had found online. However, in that moment my mind had to scan who was around, who would hear, and what kind of backlash would my husband have from it, as this was a funeral for his family member. In truth, I should be able to express my religion how I choose.

This is why I support this day and this idea. It is not so that individuals can show their personal information to the world. It is so the world can see that there are many more beliefs out there. That there is a diversity not only in what is believed but in WHO believes it. Society still seems to have a stereotype in their collective head about what a Pagan looks like. Days like this show society that we don't all wear black all the time. We don't all wear broom skirts everywhere we go. We don't all live secluded secretive lives. We are teachers, lawyers, parents, authors, and everything else you can think of.

So I live my life "out" and proud  so that I can live my life with the basic  rights that others have.

I also support this day so that those who may live in fear to come out know that there are many of us out here. So they can find a safe place to go.

I am a Proud Witch!

Thank you for reading. I welcome your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment